Convent Hotel ****
A restored former Benedictine monastery, today the Convent hotel offers all the comforts of a 4-star hotel with 23 rooms and a luxuriously decorated suite.
The rooms are furnished in classical style and have all the standard facilities (satellite TV, phone, mini bar, hair dryer, air conditioning, internet). The rooms have a view of the park or of the atrium with a fountain built in 1835, which almost invites you to relax in its shadow and let your imagination run free through the spirit of ancient times.
Some of the advantages of the hotel are its quiet location, the nearness of the sea, its green surroundings, a varied and high-quality offer of services and a parking lot adjacent to the hotel.
Guests with refined tastes will enjoy the Mediterranean cuisine in the romantic ambience of Convent, our a la carte restaurant.
The Adria Wellness, only 50 m away from the hotel, is the perfect place to indulge your body and mind with its swimming pool, saunas, massages and beauty treatments.
The hotel also organizes business meetings, wedding receptions and other celebrations.
The former Benedictine monastery, which is the main building in the hotel complex today, is an outstanding cultural monument with quite a history. It is located on the south side of the Ankaran Peninsula in a beautiful green area once know as GASELLO and today called OLTRA.
In the 9th century a church was built here upon request of the bishop of Trieste, which was dedicated to St. Apollinaris, a martyr from Trieste. Two hundred years later (in 1072), bishop Adalger from Trieste gave the church and all its land properties to the Benedictine monastery of St. Nicholas in Venice. The new owners enlarged their properties with gifts and acquisitions not only in Ankaran, but also in Koper and along the whole western Istrian coast down to Poreč. Furthermore, they built a monastery. The Benedictine monks of Ankaran were also responsible for the thriving vineyards and olive groves. The wine from the monastery's vineyards was served on the tables of Filippo Maria Visconti, Duke of Milan, and the famous Litta family. In the 16th century wines from this area are know to have been exported to Germany as Lacriame Christi (Christ's Tears).
The big stone pots that can be seen in the gardens were used by the Benedictines for storing olive oil.
The Benedictines renovated the monastery several times through the centuries. The oldest part is still visible on the northeast part of the building. The beautiful bell tower, built in Guelph style, was finished in 1572. In the first half of the 17th century the monastery assumed the appearance that it still had a few years ago.
The monastery existed for approximately five centuries and during this period it was a treasury full of works of art dating from the 14th to the 18th century. When in 1774 the Republic of Venice closed down the monastery, most of the treasures disappeared without a trace.
In the time of the Illyrian Provinces, the monastery became a military hospital. The new owner who transformed the monastery into the present 4-star hotel did not change much of its architecture, though a number of restoration works were performed. The Convent fountain as it looks today was built in 1835 by Bonifazio from Piran and Domenico from Korte above Izola. In 1880 the owner had three arches built on the façade and inside them he put a stone stairway, so that it was possible for the visitors to admire the view of the courtyard and fountain, which we can still enjoy today.